The Beecroft Peninsula is the spectacular northern headland of Jervis Bay, about 200 kilometres south of Sydney. Its heritage value stems from its outstanding natural, cultural and historic features.
On the western and southern sides of the peninsula steep sandstone cliffs rise dramatically out of the ocean, up to 91 metres at its southernmost point, Point Perpendicular. Elsewhere, there are white sandy beaches interspersed with numerous intertidal reefs.
A high diversity of vegetation communities survive on the peninsula – from heath to rainforest. Twenty-three mammal species and 126 species of bird (including 35 that are supported) have been recorded there.
Archaeological evidence demonstrates that Aboriginal occupation of the Beecroft Peninsula extends back at least 7,000 years and probably much longer. Evidence of this is found in many sites of strong traditional cultural and spiritual significance to the local Jerrinja Aboriginal people.
The historic Point Perpendicular lighthouse was constructed in 1899 at the southern tip of the peninsula. It is noteworthy for its innovative use of pre-cast concrete blocks employing sandstone aggregate from the site.
Since the 1800s about 4200 hectares of the Beecroft Peninsula has been under the administration of the Royal Navy and Royal Australian Navy for use in weapons and other training activities. Access to the Beecroft Weapon Range is restricted to the public when not in use by Defence.
For information about opening and closing times, contact the Defence Environmental Rangers ((02) 4448 3411) or Navy Range Control ((02) 4448 3839).