The administration of the following Sydney Naval Establishments was transferred to the Naval Board of the Commonwealth of Australia; Garden Island Dockyard; Royal Edward Victualling Yard; Naval Ordnance Depot; Spectacle Island; Medical Depot; The depot ship HMS PENGUIN, which became HMAS PENGUIN.
The Wild Swan class sloop, (later converted to a stationary depot ship), HMAS PENGUIN, was commissioned. PENGUIN was laid down in Napier’s Yard, Clydebank, Scotland, launched in 1876, and commissioned into the RN in August 1877. PENGUIN was based in Sydney from 1890, and carried out surveys in Australian coastal waters until 31 March 1907. She served as a depot ship for the RN, before becoming part of the transfer of RN Establishments to the RAN in 1913.