- Cleary, Brian, Commodore, RAN (Rtd)
- Naval technology, Ship histories and stories, History - Between the wars
- RAN Ships
- HMAS Rushcutter (Shores establishment)
- June 2006 edition of the Naval Historical Review (all rights reserved)
Post War training
In 1946, the A/S training task was generally reduced. However, as a result of the lessons learnt during the war, it was decided in the Royal Navy and followed by the RAN to create a new branch of the Service – the Electrical Branch. Previously, power generation in ships was the responsibility of the Engineering Branch and distribution fell to the Torpedo Branch. The repair and maintenance of electrical equipment was the responsibility of the appropriate user, such as the A/S Branch, Radar Branch or the Radio Branch. The RAN’s Electrical Branch was formed in 1948 and headed by Captain Newcomb. Many A/S officers transferred to the new Branch. With diminished responsibilities, the Torpedo and A/S Branches were combined to become the Torpedo Anti-Submarine (TAS) Branch. The Torpedo School and its instructional weapons were moved from Flinders Naval Depot, Victoria to HMAS Rushcutter to form the TAS School in place of the A/S School.
The new Branch had two sub-specialist groups of sailors. The Underwater Control (UC) group replaced SDs and the Underwater Weapons (UW) group replaced Torpedomen. The A/S building was used for UC training, but because of the space required for torpedoes, mines and A/S weapons, UW training extended from Sayonara to the boatshed. In addition to the TAS School, the Diving School was also established at Rushcutter in 1948. It was obvious that more space would be required to house the TAS School, particularly when Yarranabe Park was vacated. The TAS School was moved to South Head in 1956 and the renowned A/S School building became just another structure.
The name Rushcutter has been perpetuated.
HDML 1321: After the war, reclassified as a seaward defence boat. Served in Sydney as reserve training vessel SDB Rushcutter, until she was laid up about 1970. She was declared for disposal in 1971.
HMAS Rushcutter: One of two prototypes ordered in January, 1983, and accepted into service June 1994. It showed early promise, and a further four craft were ordered, but never built. System faults and the fact that the ships were very uncomfortable seaboats led to the discontinuance of the line in the early 2000s.