- Jeffrey, Vic
- Ship histories and stories
- RAN Ships
- HMAS Leeuwin, HMAS Leeuwin (base)
- September 1990 edition of the Naval Historical Review (all rights reserved)
Since then the Fremantle Port Division of the Royal Australian Naval Reserves have continued to operate from HMAS Leeuwin , their home since December 1949 when they were resurrected with the impending Korean War. The Fremantle Port Division of Naval Reserve will continue to carry out their training role at this establishment after its decommissioning under the command of Commander B. Sexstone, RANR, thus maintaining a naval presence in this historic link in Australia’s naval tradition.
HMAS Leeuwin II
Between August 1942 and March 1946, the Royal Freshwater Bay Yacht Club property at Keane’s Point was commissioned as HMAS Leeuwin II.
This establishment had been commissioned to meet the requirements of the Naval Auxiliary Patrol which carried out harbour and coastal patrols from Fremantle. A number of new buildings were added to house personnel and for the care and maintenance of service craft.
HMAS Leeuwin II decommissioned on 6 March 1946, in a ceremony performed by the Naval Officer-in-Charge, Fremantle, Commodore C.J. Pope, CBE, RAN.